The experience of jaw pain, facial ache, chewing difficulty, headache, or worse, a locked jaw is indeed uncomfortable. The chances are that you are already suffering from temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder, without you knowing it. If left unattended for some time, it can escalate to gum recession, eroded enamel, and cracked teeth. The good news is that there are a handful of dental services that can treat this disorder. On top of these is Invisalign, typically used to align teeth and treat teeth grinding or TMD.
In this article, we will share with you how Invisalign will help address your TMJ disorder:
What is TMJ disorder?
When we talk about TMJ, many people are quick to assume that it’s a medical condition. The thing is that it merely stands for the temporomandibular joint—the synovial joint connecting your jawbone to your skull. Know that you have this joint on each side of your jaw.
But when speaking about TMD, it is a TMJ disorder characterized by pain in the jaw joint and the muscles controlling the jaw movement. This pain can be caused by a handful of factors, such as genetics, jaw injury, arthritis, and bruxism (teeth grinding). Some of its symptoms include the following:
- Jaw pain or tenderness
- TMJ pain in one or both sides
- Aching pain in and around your ear
- Chewing difficulty
- Aching facial pain
- Locked jaw
How Invisalign can help treat TMJ disorder
In most cases, this disorder is temporary and can be treated with non-surgical treatments and self-managed care. However, in rare situations, surgery becomes necessary when these conservative measures fail to remedy the condition.
For the most part, Invisalign can help if the condition isn’t severe and temporary. As bruxism is one factor causing TMJ disorder, the use of Invisalign aligners can stop your teeth from grinding while straightening them at the same time.
On a more specific note, here’s how the Invisalign can help:
- It can reduce the pain in the jaw, face, and neck.
- It can reprogram your joint muscles that will eventually stop teeth grinding.
- It can recondition your mouth and jaw muscles to work properly, relieving TMD symptoms.
Various benefits of Invisalign
Here are other notable benefits you can get from wearing this aligner:
- Facial comfort: It can significantly reduce your jaw pain and facial discomfort, as mentioned above.
- Invisible appearance: It is an invisible oral device that won’t be unsightly in appearance.
- Removable feature: It can be removed when you want to eat or brush your teeth.
- Improved cleanliness: It is cleaner to use than other dental appliances and solutions.
- Complete set of teeth: It can straighten your teeth after several months, depending on the severity of your teeth misalignment.
- Affordable and cost-effective solution: It’s readily available in the market as an affordable solution, yet it’s deemed effective in treating your TMD.
- A perfect smile: With a straight set of teeth, it can eventually give you a great smile.
TMJ disorder must not be taken for granted at all. As it can impact your day-to-day function and your life’s quality, be sure to see your dentist immediately. Most importantly, take advantage of the wonders of Invisalign aligners that will straighten your teeth and treat your TMD. Ultimately, Invisalign offers various oral benefits and comforts that you so deserve!
We’re a dental office committed to delivering personal and passionate dental services in Texas from general to restorative down to cosmetic dentistry. If you’re looking for an Invisalign dentist in Mansfield for your TMJ, be sure to connect with us today to set an appointment!